"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Andy, you're dandy

I admit to having had little use for Andrew Sullivan: an ostensible Catholic and conservative who favors gay marriage and occasionally gets hysterical when the Church reiterates this-or-that which has been taught ab initio. (That he's gay himself is irrelevant.) But I must also admit to being impressed by his ongoing joust with atheist apologist Sam Harris. The latest installment repays a full read.

I myself haven't bothered overmuch with the Harrises and the Dawkinses because their arguments are no better, no more original, and no more numerous than those which I had heard in various bars and dorm rooms by the time I was a sophomore at Columbia. But dealing with those guys is a dirty job that somebody has to do for the sake of protecting the gullible. I'm glad Andrew Sullivan is doing it. He may yet redeem himself.
blog comments powered by Disqus