"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The right kind of consumption

The "responsorial psalm" at today's Mass got me thinking and praying. This part in particular, from Psalm 68:

For your sake I bear insult,
and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
a stranger to my children,
Because zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.

I was given to realize two things: that the above has, in due time, applied to me, and that I had nothing to do with the "zeal" in question. Indeed, not only can I take no credit for having been ostracized; what contributed most to my greatest ostracization was my own, earlier resistance to the zeal that was consuming me. So, I don't merit victim credentials on anything like the order of the psalmist's, or the prophet Jeremiah's.

Even so, I suspect that if the above psalm verses don't apply, in some measure and fashion, to each confirmed Christian, they're not doing their job.
blog comments powered by Disqus