"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Saturday, December 23, 2006

That little row on Mt. Athos

People have been e-mailing me, and many have been blogging, aboutwhat happened last Wednesday on Mt Athos, where some dissident monks, long displeased by the idea of ecumenism with Roman Catholics, invaded a construction site and assaulted other monks with hand weapons. A few injuries are serious. Apparently, the perps had already been excommunicated by Patriarch Bartholemew and ordered to leave. The matter is now in the hands of the civil authorities. I sure hope so.

I've refrained from commenting until now because I needed time to allow my Advent ascesis to eliminate even the temptation to Schadenfreude. I have succeeded. I was tempted to say some polemical things about how dangerous a thing ecumenism can be in Orthodoxy, but that would be worse than useless. Catholics have occasionally had their little internecine rumbles too, not to mention full-scale wars over the usual things wars are fought about. I don't like glass houses.

Of course we haven't had many such rumbles lately. Too many of us have been singing "You'll know they are Christians by their love..."
blog comments powered by Disqus