"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Pope's new book

I've seen several complaints in the Catholic blogosphere, most notably here, that the Catholic blogosphere is largely ignoring the Pope's new book Jesus of Nazareth. Well, I can't speak for others, but I for one one have not been ignoring it. I ordered it last month, received it a few weeks ago, and have actually been reading it. I am impressed. It resolves several intellectual puzzles I've had about the question how the "Jesus of history" relates to the "Christ of faith."

When I've finished it over the weekend, I'll have a lot more to say about two sets of issues: the ones that most concern me, and the ones that seem to exercise the critics the most. In the meantime, I look forward to receiving comments on this post that might enrich my next one.
blog comments powered by Disqus