"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Going overboard

Fr. Martin Fox is one of those special parish priests who actually welcomes honest, detailed feedback about his homilies. That's why he posts them online, where he gets that feedback; and I expect he gets the same from a few brave, flesh-and-blood parishioners. Since I generally like his stuff, I've told him I shall join the feedback chorus.

I especially liked the closing lines from last Sunday's homily:

Most of us get intense about something. About that special someone we love; about sports, or our careers, about music, hobbies, or politics. And that’s fine. But what excuse can we have for not feeling strongly about the rights of every person, rich or poor, American or foreign, young or old, able-bodied or disabled, born or unborn? Because when someone has fallen out, or been pushed out, and they’re about to go under…That’s when you and I need to go overboard.

That's being countercultural in a way people can understand and swallow. Read it all by clicking this entry's title.
blog comments powered by Disqus